About this blog:

I am a teacher who likes to cook (and eat.) I am constantly being asked for the recipes to dishes I share with my colleagues, parents or students. This is my place to present them. Many of the recipes I post are borrowed from other sources which are given credit. I tend to tweak most to simplify the cooking process or lessen the cost. Let me know what you think by leaving me some comments. Happy cooking!

September 18, 2010

Hummus

If there is such a thing as "Arab America", Dearborn, Michigan may be the closest thing it has to a capital. Twenty-two years ago, our first apartment was an extremely small upper flat located on it's eastside. Shawarma, kibbeh,  tabouli, and hummus was always nearby, fresh, and delicious.  Arabic food is still one of our favorite ethnic cuisines.  I experienced some sticker shock last week when I bought a "cheap" brand of garlic hummus (for close to $6.00/lb) at the grocery store. Wow! I used to be able to get superior stuff from any local Middle Eastern restaurant but now none are conveniently close enough.  I remember a recipe my brother Bob once made for us that was tons better than what came out of the plastic tub, so I called him to re-check the recipe.  He came through with this one ~ simple, inexpensive (about half the price) and very, very, good!  This recipe was given to him over twenty years ago from a friend who was born in Iraq. It is exactly the way his family made it in Bagdad. Garlic lovers (like my family) can step it up with an additional clove or two if they dare.  (And if you are anywhere near my old neighborhod in east Dearborn, the absolutely best pita in the world comes from the New Yasmeen Bakery on Warren Avenue.)

2 - 16 oz. cans chick (garbanzo) peas
3 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste)
¼ cups olive oil
⅓ cup (or less to taste) lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 clove garlic (or 2 if you like more)

Drain chickpeas but reserve some of the liquid. Blend ingredients in food processor or blender. Add enough reserved liquid to bring to desired consistency. More lemon juice may also be added to taste. Spread the hummus on a shallow platter, drizzle it with good extra virgin olive oil and serve it along with pita bread and thinly sliced onions

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm...next time you're in Dearborn, bring me some of that pita bread, please! Ryan's mom!

    ReplyDelete