About this blog:

I am a teacher who likes to cook (and eat.) I am constantly being asked for the recipes to dishes I share with my colleagues, parents or students. This is my place to present them. Many of the recipes I post are borrowed from other sources which are given credit. I tend to tweak most to simplify the cooking process or lessen the cost. Let me know what you think by leaving me some comments. Happy cooking!

January 3, 2010

Emeril's Mascarpone/Marmalade Stuffed French Toast - (Mostly)


I watched Emeril Lagasse cook this breakfast dish on Food Network's Essence of Emeril show over vacation.  I thought it sounded so good and figured out that if I substituted more common ingredients for some on the less common/more expensive ones, I could make it for my family that day.  Wow! It was wonderful - sweet, rich, and creamy. It didn't take much more work than making regular French toast AND the leftovers were frozen for future breakfasts.  (I've included Emeril's ingredients as well to make it really fancy-schmancy, but left out the ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg he puts in - cause I just don't like nutmeg)

6 eggs
½ cup half and half (or heavy cream)
1 ½ teaspoons orange zest
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
8 slices (¾-inch) day-old white bread (brioche would be great)
½ cup of cream cheese (mascarpone is even better)
8 teaspoons orange marmalade
2 tablespoons butter
Maple syrup, for serving

In a mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, cream, zest, cinnamon, vanilla, sugar and salt. Lay the bread slices flat on a clean work surface. Spread one side of each slice with 2 teaspoons of the mascarpone. Spread 2 teaspoons of the marmalade over the mascarpone or cream cheese on half of the slices. Place the slices together to form 4 sandwiches. Working one at a time, dip the sandwich in the egg mixture, letting it sit about 1 ½ minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining sandwiches.
Preheat a large nonstick skillet over low heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the butter.
When the butter has melted, add 2 of the sandwiches and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining butter and sandwiches.
Cut the French toast "sandwiches" in half and serve hot, dusted with powdered sugar and drizzled with maple syrup, as desired.

2 comments:

  1. I don't like jelly much, but all your dishes surprised me so far... from your Taco-chili to your Mac and cheese

    ReplyDelete