About this blog:

I am a teacher who likes to cook (and eat.) I am constantly being asked for the recipes to dishes I share with my colleagues, parents or students. This is my place to present them. Many of the recipes I post are borrowed from other sources which are given credit. I tend to tweak most to simplify the cooking process or lessen the cost. Let me know what you think by leaving me some comments. Happy cooking!

January 19, 2010

Taco-Chili Mac and Cheese

This one came from my dad.  He loved cook books.  He had many in his kitchen and he read them all.  He read them, but never USED them.  And although Dad did a majority of the cooking at our house while Mom worked the day shift, he was not known for his epicurean flare. (Ask any of my brothers about his V-8 and honey flavored spaghetti sauce.)  This one, however, he got right.  It's a typical casserole (hot dish) that feeds a lot, fills you up, and tastes yummy.



- 1 lb. macaroni
- 1 lb. hamburger
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 cup of water
- 1 can chili beans with sauce (large or small, mild or hot)
- 1 jar of Cheese Whiz
- 1 bag corn chips (I always use FRITOS® Original)
Cook the macaroni according to package directions in a large pot. Drain, then put the pasta back into the pot. Brown the hamburger in a separate pan, add the taco seasoning and water and stir until thickened.
Add the taco-hamburger to the macaroni. Add the can of chili beans and heat the entire mixture.
Just before serving add the jar of Cheese Whiz and mix in thoroughly. Serve in bowls with crunched Fritos chips on top. Makes 8-10 servings.

5 comments:

  1. I love it! Grandpa's recipe as a Gary Classic. Throw some chipped beef or Circus peanuts in there and you'd have a real winner.

    Still waiting for your other stories....

    Love, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummyyy! i bet that its better then "Hamburger Helper" looks yummyyyy too!!! cant wait to have my dad make it for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another amazing dish for future city! I'm not much of a Mexican, but m-m-good! Can't wait to see if my mom can copy it as good as it was!Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That dish looks soooooo YUMMY!! i cant wait to make it at home!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristin DrummelsmithJanuary 24, 2010 at 7:29 PM

    Anything made with cheez wiz has to be good :)

    ReplyDelete