About this blog:

I am a teacher who likes to cook (and eat.) I am constantly being asked for the recipes to dishes I share with my colleagues, parents or students. This is my place to present them. Many of the recipes I post are borrowed from other sources which are given credit. I tend to tweak most to simplify the cooking process or lessen the cost. Let me know what you think by leaving me some comments. Happy cooking!

February 8, 2010

The Frugal Gourmet's New York Cheesecake

From Jeff Smith's cookbook On Our Immigrant Ancestors: Recipes You Should Have Gotten from Your Grandmother. It's made in a flash using just a food processor and a springform pan. It's not the faciest or prettiest cheesecake I make, but it is quick, easy, and the most authentic New York style cheesecake I have ever tasted - and absolutely delicious.

- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3/4 cup sugar (1/4 c for crust and 1/2 c for cheesecake)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- 1&1/2 cups of sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 pound (2 packages) cream cheese (PHILADELPHIA® brand, of course )

Blend the cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup melted butter, and line the bottom of an 8 or 9 inch ungreased spring form pan. Blend the sour cream, 1/2 cup sugar, eggs, and vanilla in a food blender for 1 minute. Add the cream cheese cut into smaller pieces. Blend until smooth. Pour 2 tablespoons melted butter through the top of the machine. Pour into the spring-form pan. Bake in the lower third of a 325 degree oven for 45 minutes.
When baking is finished, remove from oven, and turn oven on to broil. Broil the cheesecake just until the top begins to show attractive spots of brown. Watch it closely - it doesn't take long.  Refrigerate for at lease 4 hours (or better overnight) before cutting and serving.

1 comment:

  1. Never heard of the broiling idea - I will definitely try this one.

    ReplyDelete