About this blog:

I am a teacher who likes to cook (and eat.) I am constantly being asked for the recipes to dishes I share with my colleagues, parents or students. This is my place to present them. Many of the recipes I post are borrowed from other sources which are given credit. I tend to tweak most to simplify the cooking process or lessen the cost. Let me know what you think by leaving me some comments. Happy cooking!

February 12, 2010

Bubble and Squeak

I ordered this as a side dish at English pub in Toronto once just because of the name. It is a traditional English recipe named for the sound it makes when you prepare it - the potatoes bubble as you boil them and the cabbage squeaks as you fry it.) It’s a delicious easy-to-make Monday side dish that uses Sunday (or St. Patrick’s Day) dinner’s left-over veggies. Ireland’s Colcannon is similar as is Rumbledethumps from Scotland. 


- 4 strips of bacon fried and chopped
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 cups of leftover mashed potatoes
- ½ cabbage head (chopped)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Fry the bacon in a large pan and set aside. Add the chopped onion and cabbage into the left-over drippings and fry gently for 3 mins or until soft. Add the potatoes and crumbled bacon turning over, ensuring it is thoroughly mixed and reheated.
You can serve it at this point but some would let it cool, press the mixture into patties and re-fry them in butter until they have a crispy crust. (I didn't say it was low calorie.)

1 comment:

  1. 8:47 p.m. craving for this, and no ingredients. Thanks for nothing! ;-)

    ReplyDelete