About this blog:

I am a teacher who likes to cook (and eat.) I am constantly being asked for the recipes to dishes I share with my colleagues, parents or students. This is my place to present them. Many of the recipes I post are borrowed from other sources which are given credit. I tend to tweak most to simplify the cooking process or lessen the cost. Let me know what you think by leaving me some comments. Happy cooking!

August 25, 2012

Pannukakku - From up dere in da UP doncha-know


In 1970, I went with my boy scout troop on a trip to the UP.  Forty-two years later, I had the great pleasure of travelling with a few of my boy scout buddies on that same trip.  We had a great time exploring the 'Yooper Wonderland' ~ Michigan's Upper Peninsula.  Some of the next few posts were inspired by the people and places we had the pleasure discovering.


While in Houghton, we ate at Suomi's Home Bakery and Restaurant, a local hang out specializing in Finnish dishes (especially breakfast.) Pannukakku is similar in taste to a Swedish  pancake except it is oven baked and more like a custard.  Super simple to make (especially in a food-processor) and very, very tasty.


Ingredients:
4 cups milk
4 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
4 tablespoons melted butter

Directions:
Beat eggs then add everything else (melted butter last). Mix well and pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 400 degrees until the custard is set and browned on top (40-45 minutes)  Serve with powdered sugar and your favorite jam or jelly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment