About this blog:

I am a teacher who likes to cook (and eat.) I am constantly being asked for the recipes to dishes I share with my colleagues, parents or students. This is my place to present them. Many of the recipes I post are borrowed from other sources which are given credit. I tend to tweak most to simplify the cooking process or lessen the cost. Let me know what you think by leaving me some comments. Happy cooking!

September 1, 2012

NISU - Finnish Sweet Bread

Here is another recipe inspired by my trip with my pals up north this summer. Once again, our breakfast at Suomi's Bakery and Restaurant in Houghton introduced another breakfast treat that I just HAD to make myself.  Nisu is a sweet Finnish cardamon bread that is fairly easy to make and smells (and tastes) heavenly.  It can be eaten warm with butter or made into great French toast.  This recipe makes two loaves.  Eat one fresh and freeze one for later.


Ingredients
1 ½ Tablespoons of active dry yeast (2 packages)
1/2 cup warm water, 105 to 115 degrees
1 teaspoon  sugar (for the yeast)
1/2 – 1 cup of sugar (depends how sweet you want it.)
1 can evaporated milk – warmed (105 to 115 degrees)
2 teaspoons salt
2 – 3 teaspoons ground cardamom
4 eggs, room temperature
7+ cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup melted butter

For the glaze:
1 slightly beaten egg
2 tablespoons cream (or half & half)


   In a stand mixer; mix warm water, yeast, and 1 teaspoon sugar.Let stand for 5 minutes until yeast gets bubbly. Add warm milk, remaining sugar, salt, cardamom, eggs, and half the flour. Mix until the dough is smooth and shiny. Beat in the melted butter. Add remaining flour, one cup at a time until dough is stiff, but not dry. (You may need a little more than 7 cups but no more than 8.)  Let dough rest for 15 minutes. Using your mixer’s dough hook or your own strong arms - Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth (about 10 minutes.)

   Add dough to a large bowl sprayed with oil and spray the top as well. Cover with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Turn risen dough out on a bread board and divide into two equal portions. 
   Divide each portion into three parts. Roll each part out to a rope about 2 feet long. Make two braids, using three strands each. Place each braid on a separate baking sheet lined with parchment. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. 

   Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Mix milk and eggs and brush each braid with the glaze. Bake 20 to 25 minutes until golden. Allow to cool for 10 minutes on cooling rack.



1 comment:

  1. I'll have to try this for my (50% Finnish) mother!

    ReplyDelete