About this blog:

I am a teacher who likes to cook (and eat.) I am constantly being asked for the recipes to dishes I share with my colleagues, parents or students. This is my place to present them. Many of the recipes I post are borrowed from other sources which are given credit. I tend to tweak most to simplify the cooking process or lessen the cost. Let me know what you think by leaving me some comments. Happy cooking!

April 29, 2018

Mother Wonderful's Almond Amaretto Cheesecake

My father-in law lived in Philadelphia and used to attend the annual Book and the Cook event Philadelphia for many years. In 1990 he bought me a cookbook that would make me a very popular person - Mother Wonderful's Cheesecakes and other Goodies by Myra Chanin. Filled with cheesecake recipes of the highest quality and taste, it is by far the most used and abuse book in my collection. Over the years I've attempted to make many a recipe from the book, but one stands out by far as the best cheesecake I have ever made or eaten and most requested by friends and family when it's my turn to bring dessert. Thank you Ralph for buying us the book and thank you Mother Wonderful for the joy this recipe has brought to so many people over the many  years.

Equipment needed:
Stand mixer with paddle attachment (or food processor)
8" Springform Pan

If you want to make a bigger cake, use a 10" springform pan and double the recipe

Preheat oven to 350° F.
Crust
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) - Lightly Salted Butter
1 cup + 2 tablespoons - Finely ground Italian amaretto biscuit crumbs
Sugar - 2 tablespoons

Melt butter over very low heat. Combine butter with crumbs and sugar in a food processor or with a fork until thoroughly blended. Press small amounts of crust mix up the sides of an non greased 9-inch springform pan and then press remaining crust mix over bottom. (I wrap the outside bottom/sides with a few sheets of aluminum foil to avoid melted butter dripping onto the bottom of your oven.)

Filling
1 lb. (Two 8-ounce packages) - Cream cheese
¾ cup - sugar
1 ½ teaspoons - Amaretto liqueur
½ teaspoon – Vanilla extract
½ teaspoon – Almond extract
pinch – Salt
2 – Large eggs

In a mixer, whip cream cheese on the highest speed for 5 minutes, then add sugar and beat for 2 minutes more. Add liqueur, extracts, and salt and blend together thoroughly. Add the eggs, one at a time, keeping the mixer on the lowest speed in order to prevent too much air, from destroying the proper consistency of the batter; mix just until each egg has been incorporated into the batter. Pour batter into crust and bake in preheated oven. 40 minutes
Remove from oven and let stand on a counter for 10 minutes allowing the center to solidify while you prepare the glaze.

Sour Cream Glaze
1cup – Sour cream
2 tablespoons – Sugar
½ teaspoon – Almond extract
¼ cup – sliced almonds

Combine sour cream, sugar and extract together in a bowl. Spread evenly and smoothly over the top of the baked filling, sprinkle with almonds and return to the 350° F oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately place in the refrigerator to cool and prevent cracks from forming on the cake. Cheesecakes are best made a few days in advance to develop firm creaminess and mellow flavors while in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment