About this blog:

I am a teacher who likes to cook (and eat.) I am constantly being asked for the recipes to dishes I share with my colleagues, parents or students. This is my place to present them. Many of the recipes I post are borrowed from other sources which are given credit. I tend to tweak most to simplify the cooking process or lessen the cost. Let me know what you think by leaving me some comments. Happy cooking!

September 25, 2018

Mrs. Thomas's Legendary Apple Crisp

In the 1960's/70's, Mrs. Thomas was my grade school Principal's wife and the school's cook/lunch lady. She was a saint. Spending long hours, with no budget and little or no pay, yet cooking up all the marvelous kitchen miracles we kids all loved. Everything was deliciously good, but one thing stands out as the ultimate favorite of all students from Kindergarten to 8th grade - her Apple Crisp dessert. It was always the gastronomic highlight of the week. Many, many years later we still talk about it (with much love).  This recipe comes from a copy she wrote out for me years ago.

Ingredients:
6 Medium-sized apples 
3/4 c. Brown sugar
1 c. Flour
1 c. Rolled oats (Not quick oats)
3/4 c. Margarine (cause that's what she used.)
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Salt

Directions:
Start with a firm, sweet/tart variety of apples such as Braeburn, Honey Crisp or Jonathan. Peel then slice the apples medium thick. You will want enough to fill about 3/4 of the way up your well-buttered 9x9 pan. Mix the all other ingredients in a separate bowl until crumbly. Spread completely over apples (in big and little crumbles) and bake uncovered for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment