About this blog:

I am a teacher who likes to cook (and eat.) I am constantly being asked for the recipes to dishes I share with my colleagues, parents or students. This is my place to present them. Many of the recipes I post are borrowed from other sources which are given credit. I tend to tweak most to simplify the cooking process or lessen the cost. Let me know what you think by leaving me some comments. Happy cooking!

December 11, 2009

I LOVE Kruse and Muer Bread

If you live in or near Rochester, Michigan, you know the place.  The food is very,very good, but the bread loaves are fantastic.  I was orignally  given this recipe by a collegue who swears to me her husband's-brother's-friend (who happens to work there) gave her this recipe.  I don't know if that's true or not.  I believe the marinade/sprinkle is authentic, but getting the correct bread experience is a challenge.  I used to us pre-made frozen bread which will get close in a pinch. But for authenticity sake, I've included the recipe from The Simply Great Cookbook written by Chuck Muer himself in 1993.  And of course the best way to experience this delight is to go to the restaurant itself.

Bread
1 pack of active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water (around 110 degrees)
1T sugar
2 T olive oil
1T salt
4 C of bread flour

(or try a frozen pre-made pizza or bread dough in a pinch)

Topping
2T poppy seeds mixed with 3t salt
 
Marinade (Chef Larry's Blessing)
1 C olive oil
1 clove garlic crushed
2 T oregano
2 T basil
1/8 t salt
Keep the marinade in a jar in the fridge to have on hand and also use it on pasta.

Sprinkle
1/4 C kosher salt (or less)
2 T poppy seed

In a bowl, sprinkle yeast on top of warm water (110°). When yeast has dissolved and starts to form bubbles, add sugar, salt and oil. Mix well.  Using an electric mixer or food processor on low speed, mix in the bread flour. As the ingredients combine, the dough should become soft. If it is sticky, add a little more flour. Knead dough at medium speed for 5 minutes. The dough should be smooth and elastic. Remove dough from machine and knead by hand for 2-3 minutes. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with clear plastic wrap or clean towel. Set bowl in a warm place and allow dough to rise until doubled in size (about 25-35 minutes). Mix kosher salt and poppy seeds. Set aside.
When the dough has risen, separate into 4 equal pieces. Sprinkle your work surface with the salt-seed mixture. Form each dough piece into a long loaf and roll through the salt-seed mixture to lightly coat each piece. Place loaves on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. With kitchen scissors, cut loaves into 5 sections, leaving the sections still attached. Brush loaves completely with Marinade (Chef Larry's Blessing.) Let the loaves rise for 30 minutes before baking. (At this point, they may be refrigerated for up to 8 hours before baking.)  Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Then lower oven temperature to 400° and continue baking another 10 minutes or til golden brown. Serve immediately
For rolls, try using a cupcake pan. Spray with Pam and then spread marinade and sprinkle salt/poppy seed mixture into each hole, place one frozen bread roll ball into hole, brush with marinade to cover entirely, and then sprinkle again lightly with salt/poppy seed mixture. These will rise in about 4-7 hours. You can make the tins up at night, refrigerate, and pull out in the morning to let rise.

7 comments:

  1. this is the best bread ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love their bread! I might try this recipe to see if it's close to the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have Kruse and Muer bread recipe! I love there bread. I can't wait to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. me and my mom ALWAYS go here!!! LLLLOOOVVVEEE IIITT!! cant wait to try this at home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Kruse and Muer! Their bread is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rejoice! This sounds pretty darn close ~ will try this weekend! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love that bread!! i cant wait to make some myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete