About this blog:

I am a teacher who likes to cook (and eat.) I am constantly being asked for the recipes to dishes I share with my colleagues, parents or students. This is my place to present them. Many of the recipes I post are borrowed from other sources which are given credit. I tend to tweak most to simplify the cooking process or lessen the cost. Let me know what you think by leaving me some comments. Happy cooking!

December 7, 2009

Rouladen

I always cook this for family but never actually cooked this for the kids at school. Since this is my first post, I thought I'd start off with an original recipe my mom used to make for the family (Dad, me, and my four brothers).  Rouladen was her speciality when company was coming over.  It's a German dish I ate as a kid all the time ~ never knowing it was "ethnic".
Ingredients:
- 4-5 pounds - boneless top round or eye-of-round, cut crosswise very thin in slices aprox. 3” x 5”
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lb. - sliced bacon
- 2 or 3 medium onion sliced into wedges
- ½ lb. beef suet
- 1 can beef stock
- Flour, salt and pepper for gravy

Procedure: 
Have the butcher slice the beef into thin slices, figuring 3-4 slices per person.
Spread them out on the counter and salt and pepper all.
Cut all bacon slices into thirds and place on each beef slice.
Place an onion wedge on top, and roll the beef/bacon firmly around the onion pieces. (It can be fastened with kitchen twine or toothpick, but usually I don’t bother with either.)
Place the pieces in baking dish and add ½ can of beef stock to cover the meat halfway.
Crumble the beef suet over all the rolls (Mom said that’s the only way to get enough gravy)
Cover and bake for 2 hours at 350o.
Remove the rolls and strain the liquids into a separate saucepan along with the other ½ can of beef stock to make the gravy.
Return the rolls to the baking dish, uncovered, and into the oven while the gravy is being made, to brown them a bit.
Once the gravy is made, pour it over the rolls, cover again and bake for at least one hour more. (If you reduce the temperature you can keep them in the oven for even longer.)

1 comment: